A list of MSKC instruments and laboratory material available to registered users. Users can find printed one-page guides located next to the instruments.
Douglas Oryx8 Crystallization Robot
- Automated crystallization screening using nanodrop dispensing.
- 0.15 µl to 8 µl per-well dispensing range.
- Sitting-drop vapour-diffusion using Greiner CrystalQuick low profile, low birefringence, 96-well flat-bottom plates.
- Other plate settings are possible. Please consult first with the MSKC staff before attempting to change the instrument configuration.
- Douglas Website.
Scorpion Liquid Handling Robot
- Art Robbins Instruments Scorpion liquid handler and crystallization screen builder.
- Easily build n-dimension optimization grids based on your initial crystal hits.
- Dispense volumes from 1.0 µl to 1,000 µl.
- Manufacturer Website.
GE Akta PURE FPLC
- Preparative purification system. Available columns:
- Ion-exchange: Mono Q 5/50 GL and Mono S 5/50 GL.
- Size-Exclusion: Superose 6 Increase, Superdex 75 and Superdex 200 Increase.
- Miscellaneous: HiPrep 26/10 Desalting, HiPrep Butyl FF 16/10 and HiPrep Phenyl FF 16/10.
- GE Healthcare Website.
Formulatrix RockImager2 UV-Vis Imager
- Dual visible light, UV light crystal plate imager, convenient tool to discriminate between protein and salt crystals.
- RockMaker software embedded for crystal hit scoring, link to crystallization screen conditions, X-ray diffraction data for scoring and tracking.
- Accepts all popular crystal plates: SBS-type, Linbro, Greiner, SwissSci.
- Stage holds up to two crystal trays, 5 minute scan per plate (visible light).
- Formulatrix Webpage.
Bio-Rad CFX96 Real-Time PCR
- Real-time protein melt analysis.
- Thermal shift assay using Sypro Orange readout.
- We also have the FUNDAMENT and SPECIFIC buffer screens (Jena Bioscience) which you can try if you need help stabilising your protein.
- Bio-Rad Website.
MaxQ 8000 Orbital Shakers
Sorvall Lynx 4000 Centrifuge
- 6x 500 ml and 12x 50 ml capacity.
- Centrifuge max RCF 68,905 x g, max speed 24,000 rpm.
- Temperature range: -10° to +40°C
- Fiberlite™ F12-6x500 carbon fiber fixed-angle rotor (speed: max RCF 24,400 x g, max rpm: 12,000 rpm)
- Fiberlite™ F20-12x50 LEX fixed-angle rotor (max RCF 51,428 x g, max speed: 20,000 rpm)
- Thermo Fisher Website.
- 700W high-power sonicator, cell disruptor, homogeneizer.
- Processes 0.2 ml to 1 l.
- Ideal for cell disruption, homogenization, chip/DNA shearing, nano particle dispersion, protein extraction, sonochemistry and soil extraction.
- Fisher Website.
GE Amersham Imager 600
- Protein Gel Image acquisition instrument
- CCD 3.2 Mpixel camera fitted with a large aperture lens
- Image output: Gray scale 16 bit tif, Color image jpg, Gray scale jpg
- Image resolution max.: 2816 × 2048, 5.8 Mpixel
- White Epi light: 470 to 635 nm
- GE Healthcare Website.
LM20 Microfluidizer High Pressure Shear Homogeneizer
- LM 20 Microfluidizer High Shear Fluid Processor.
- High pressure homogeneizer ensures high-yield cell disruption, uniform particle and droplet size reduction with minimal heat denaturation.
- Operates at pressures up to 20,000 psi.
- Requires a minimum sample size of 14 ml.
- Microfluidics Webpage.
Tissue Culture Essentials
- A variety of laboratory instruments complement of the TC room, including:
- A MaxQ 8000 shaker at 27℃ reserved for baculovirus culture (located in the shaker/centrifuge room).
- One Beckman Z2 cell counter.
- One Zeiss PrimoVert Microscope.
- One Thermo Sorvall ST16R centrifuge.
- Vortexer, water bath, Neubauer cell counting chambers.
SDS-PAGE Gel Electrophoresis Mini Tank
- SDS-PAGE denaturing protein electrophoresis mini gel tank system.
- Runs with precast Bolt Bis-Tris Plus (Invitrogen) 4-12 % acrylamide gels: 8 cm x 8 cm (1.0 mm thick).
- Running buffer: MES SDS to resolve small-, medium-, to large-size proteins (0.3–260 kDa).
- In-gel detection on staining with PageBlue Protein Staining Solution (Fisher cat. # 24620). PageBlue is colloidal G-250 Coomassie dye, delivers a dynamic range of 5 to 500 ng.
- PageBlue is a safe, fast application dye (~ 1.5-2 hrs for SDS-PAGE gels), and it can be reused up to three times.
- Fisher Website.
Rumed 3000 Crystal Incubator
Discovery V12 Crystal Imaging Microscope
- Steroscopic microscope for crystal harvesting.
- Motorized 12:1 zoom controlled by the external touch panel SYCOP controller.
- PlanS 1.0x objective offering 8x to 100x magnification.
- "Cold" LED lightsource and wide base for safe and easy crystal harvesting.
- Zeiss Website.
NanoDrop 2000c Spectrophotometer
- Thermo Scientific NanoDrop 2000c UV-Vis spectrophotometer.
- Quantify and assess purity of DNA, RNA, and protein samples.
- Wavelength range: 190-840 nm. Minimum sample size: 0.5 µl.
- Cuvette mode for 1 ml cuvettes (0.5 ml minimum volume). Pathlength: 10, 5, 2, 1 mm. Detection limit: 0.4 ng/μl dsDNA
- Pedestal mode for low volume samples: 0.5-2 µl. Pathlength: 1 mm (auto-ranging to 0.05 mm). Maximum concentration: 15,000 ng/μl (dsDNA). Detection limit: 2 ng/μl dsDNA.
- Detector: 2048-element linear silicon CCD array.
- Light source: Xenon flash lamp. Absorbance range: 0.02 -300 (10 mm equivalent).
Crystal Cryo-equipment and Crystal Harvesting Tools
- Complete selection of crystal harvesting tools including cryo pins, loops, casettes and all the necessary cryo-equipment.
- Standard cryo equipment includes CX-100 shipping dewar, VHC35 storage dewar, LD5 transfer dewar and standard SSRL equipment for use with the SSRL Automated Mounting (SAM) system using SSRL cassettes.
Yeast Protein Production Platform
- UV-light sterilizable area for yeast culture, manipulation, inoculum/media preparation, plating.
- Equipped with automated pipettor head, anxillary tools.